Come and see the Gospel Car "Ebenezer 11", on site until December 2015
The Gospel Car - Ebenezer 12: is now standing on the Chapel drive and our visitors are positively delighted with it. Do come along and enjoy its peaceful ambience. Gospel Cars were horse drawn and used between 1880 and 1960, although a motorized version did appear in the 1920's. They were used mainly by the Wesleyan Methodists, the Primitive Methodists and the Church Army. After WWII the Methodist Church continued the tradition with a much more modern caravan towed by a car, and also with a mobile cinema van. More recently the Church Army has moved to using a double-decker bus.
The aim was to send the Gospel Car to where the most needy people might be. This included the following: scattered rural populations, urban slums, the market place, the fair ground, the canal, and the travellers' camp.
The Gospel Car on display is a full sized replica of 'Ebenezer', No 11, a Wesleyan Methodist Gospel Car.